Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

What's in Your Pantry?

To follow up with my recent meal planning post, I thought I would blog about what staples I keep on hand. Having a stocked pantry and refrigerator makes a big difference when you are trying to pull meals together. I'd love to hear what additions you have to the list. Comment below!


In the pantry:
Chicken stock
Diced tomatoes
Tomato Sauce
Olive oil
Vegetable oil
Pasta of different shapes and sizes
White rice
Brown rice
Wild rice
Other grains such as couscous, bulgar, or quinoa
Panko breadcrumbs (read the America's Test Kitchen taste test results here)
Worcestershire sauce
Red wine vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Basic baking ingredients: flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, salt
Corn starch (it's my favorite for thickening sauces)
Roasted red peppers
White and yellow onions
Garlic
Yukon gold potatoes
Sweet potatoes

In the refrigerator:
Salted butter
Milk
Eggs
Soy sauce
Oyster sauce
Tomato paste (get it in the tube - it lasts forever, and you can use as much or as little as you need!)
Plain Greek yogurt
Sour cream
Shredded cheese
Carrots
Celery

In the freezer:
Frozen garlic cubes (click here if you've never heard of this modern marvel of kitchen short-cuttery)
Unsalted butter
Salted butter
Pie crusts (you know, the store bought kind)
Assorted proteins (chicken breasts, thighs, pork chops, sausage, ground beef, ground turkey)
Corn
Trader Joe's haricot vert (Trust me. These are good, and good to have on hand in case of a vegetable emergency)
Frozen berries



4 comments:

  1. Roasted Red Peppers are your staple? I just discovered them and have only eaten them plain.

    My favorite staple:
    Sweetened condensed milk. (Dulce du leche mostly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use roasted red peppers in tomato sauces. I use them in other recipes, but can't conjure any to mind right now! I thought sweetened condensed milk sounded like a staple, so I bought a four-pack at Costco 2 years ago. Upon my shelf they still sit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Haricot Vert tip. I have not tried those, but the little guy has recently shown a fondness for green beans, so... Speaking of beans, canned legumes of all hues are big pantry staples around here. I also love the Trader Joes pack of lentils in the produce section. They are fresh, fully cooked, and vacuum sealed. I love to use them in place of grains as a bed for salmon or tossed with grilled chicken apple sausages and roasted carrots. I could go on and on about these lentils...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, beans! How could I forget. I love the ideas you have for the TJ lentils. I bought them once before, but wasn't sure what to do with them. Please do go on and on! Thanks!

      Delete