Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

MIA, but not missing any action

Yeah, I became one of those bloggers. The type that start off OK, then peter off, say, around the holidays. (sorry about that) But now I'm going to be an anomaly...and pick it up again! I have a million blog posts floating around in my head.  It's the time to type them that I lack. Plus, I hate a photo-less blog post, and feel a lot of pressure to have blog-perfect photos for you.

I've decided to accept mediocrity, and post a recipe I came up with. Many might not think to make croutons at home, but I can tell you that 1) it's super easy, and b) they taste WAY better than the store-bought deal.

Skillet-toasted herby croutons
While I was heating up making dinner last night, I decided to use the last of our Lunds marble rye bread and some of the Trader Joe's Italian pane to make some fresh croutons. Feeling inspired by my recent trysts on Pinterest, I decided to document my process which, I assure you, is as unfussy as it gets. Unfortunately, I didn't think of making it into a blog post until the bread was already in the pan, so you'll just have to visualize the raw bread cubes. No biggie. Also, understand that the way I cook is very approximate. For instance, I usually eyeball spice amounts in the palm of my hand.  It's not because I'm that good. It's because I'm that lazy.  Anyhoo...all amounts are approximate and fluid. Do what you think is right, and it will be right.

Ingredients:

An amount of bread - I used three thick slices, and it made enough croutons for a few nights of salad with our dinner
Olive oil - enough to toss the cubes in and lightly coat them
herbs de Provence - about a tablespoon (or as I like to measure it, a small palmful)

Get out a large skillet (you'll want to have enough real estate for a single layer of croutons). Heat the skillet while you cube the bread. Go around the skillet three or four times with your olive oil. Toss the cubes in the pan, along with a palmful of herbs de Provence. Stir to coat the bread cubes. Add more olive oil if necessary.

Let them brown up, turn the cubes over to brown each side. Drain on a paper towel. Add to your salad warm or cooled. Store in an airtight container until you think their time has passed, or you've eaten them all. I don't know how long that is because mine are still good (from two nights ago). I'm guessing you've got maybe a week. Or more, if you're like my husband and think of the date on the milk is more a general guideline, than a hard-and-fast rule (like I do).

If you like this, please pin it!

Pin It

1 comment: