Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Looks ARE important...sort of

I just caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and sadly realized I look exactly the same as I did yesterday. And the day before yesterday. And the day before that. My quasi-clean hair (and I am using the word "clean" very loosely here) is pulled back into what I hope is a casual, hip, I-care-but-not-really bun. In reality, my dirty hair is pulled back into a messy bun that may or may not make it to the end of the day. My weird wisps and rogue locks don't look messy in a windswept magazine model sort of way. Instead, they look windswept because I had to hang my head out the window of my minivan while driving down 35E just so I could escape the persistent whining coming from the kids in the backseat. And no, I couldn't drown them out with the radio. I've tried that, but they always manage to out-decibel the stereo system, and then I worry about damaging their tiny ears. 

Anyways, back to the bun.  I have long hair.  It's wavy, and often frizzy throughout most of the year. My hairdresser (Cyd - some of you may know him) says of summer that it is my season.  The humidity gives my hair lots of, let's call it...body.   I used to have short hair that I loved.  It was so cute, so sassy, so ME.   The problem was that I woke up looking like I had a Don King hair transplant.  When you have kids, it simply won't do.  Can't scare 'em with the hair.  So I grew it out.  It's been growing since I found out I was pregnant with #1.  I am now on the downside of the hair cycle and really itching to cut it off.  But for now, it's still long and frizzy. I never wear it down.  Ever. It is always pulled back in some manner, and more often than not, in a bun. I started wearing the bun after Cyd told me that a ponytail is NOT a hairstyle. Who knew? Given the breadth of Cyd's expertise (the 4' x 6' egress window in our basement was his idea), I ditched the pony immediately and sought a new style. Sometimes, though, if my hair is just too unruly to contemplate a bun, I "style" it into a ponytail.  Just don't tell Cyd.

And here's a quick product plug: Goody Spin Pins. Holy cannoli, do they make the hairstyling easy! Even a bumbling hair idiot like me can manage to do this:

No comments:

Post a Comment